5. Nicholas Chevalier, The Otira Gorge, c.1866, watercolour, collection of the Christchurch Art Gallery.
4. Colin McCahon, Hotel Meals, 1972, water-based crayon and wash, private collection.
3. Dick Frizzell, Milled Hill Gorse & Bracken, Tokoroa, 1987, oil on board, collection of Christchurch Art Gallery.
That strange bit of forest between Taupo and Hamilton where you put your foot down.
2. Rosalie Gascoigne, Big Yellow, 1988, reflective road signs, Chartwell Collection, Auckland Art Gallery.
Cheating a bit ... but she was born in Auckland.
1. Colin McCahon, Six Days in Nelson and Canterbury, 1950, oil on canvas, Collection of the Auckland Art Gallery.
An epic journey by bike...